What is aviation?
1. John Duigan builds Australia’s first powered aircraft
Aviator John Robertson Duigan in his biplane.
2. Bert Hinkler becomes the first person to fly solo from England to Australia
World-renowned Bert Hinkler was one of Australia’s greatest aviators.
3. Sir Charles Kingsford Smith conquered the first Trans-Pacific flight to Australia
Sir Charles Kingsford Smith and Captain P. G. Taylor
at the Wheeler Field, Honolulu, with the Lady Southern Cross.
4. Maude Bonney was the first woman to fly solo from Australia to Britain
Maude Bonney before taking off on a flight.
5. Invention of Distance Measuring Equipment by Australian engineer James Gerrand
Diagram of an early piece of distance measuring equipment.
6. David Warren develops the black box flight recorder
Iconic Australian scientist David Warren.
7. Ryan Campbell was the first teenager and youngest pilot to fly solo around the world
Teenage pilot Ryan Campbell flew his way into the history books.
Aviation H2 is building Australia’s first hydrogen-fuelled plane